ROS REF: 149/83/SPO
(Approved at AGM of 19 Apr 2019, submitted to ROS for approval)
A. NAME AND PLACE OF BUSINESS
1. The Club shall be known as the LION CITY HASH HOUSE HARRIERS.
2. The Club's place of business shall be at “1A BRIGHT HILL DRIVE, THOMSON VIEW CONDO, SINGAPORE 579581” or such other address as may from time to time decided upon by the Committee and approved by the Registrar of Societies.
B. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
1. To organize weekly cross-country runs and occasional social events for its members.
2. To foster goodwill, understanding, and friendship among its members.
3. To foster relations with similar societies throughout the world.
4. Within reason, to maintain equal numbers of male and female members.
1. Membership is open to all individuals who are at least 18 years of age, regardless of race, religion, and nationality.
2. The Committee has the right to refuse membership without giving any reason. Its decision is final.
3. All members, guests, and applicants for membership shall run at their own risk. No member of the Club shall be liable for injury or loss incurred by any member, guest, or applicant for membership while taking part in or organizing any activity connected with the Club.
4. A person wishing to join the Club shall submit a completed membership form to the Secretary, along with the subscription fees for the current quarter and the applicable refundable deposit. A copy of the Constitution shall be provided to every approved applicant.
5. Membership shall consist of no more than 75 of either sex. Membership count shall exclude Absent Members in this case as well as in the determination of quorum.
6. Absent Membership will be allowed for members who do not plan to run during a quarter or more due to medical causes, travel, or other reasons deemed appropriate by the Committee, provided the member notifies the Committee prior to that quarter.
7. Absent Membership is unlimited in length of time, providing the Absent Member pays the annual subscription fee as posted on the Website. The Treasurer shall inform an Absent Member who falls into arrears with his/her subscription fee. If such member fails to settle the arrears within one month from notification, the President may order that he/she be denied membership and the outstanding fee be deducted from the member’s deposit.
8. No members shall be allowed to back-date their requests to become an Absent Member for prior quarters or to become an Absent Member for only part of a quarter.
D. FEES, DEPOSITS, SUBSCRIPTIONS, AND OTHER DUES
1. There will be no entrance fee charges.
2. A refundable deposit equivalent to 25 per cent of annual subscription fees (one quarter of fees) shall be payable by each new member. Upon receipt by the Secretary of a letter of resignation, this deposit shall be returned to the member in good standing with his/her subscription and any other fees. The deposit shall be forfeited if the member is in arrears.
3. Quarterly subscriptions are due January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1. They shall be altered upon simple majority approval by the membership in attendance at an AGM or EGM. Quarterly subscription fees are posted on the Club’s web site. Subscription must be for a complete quarter regardless of date of joining or termination, or change of membership status.
4. There will be an annual subscription fee of $50 for Absent Membership, payable at the beginning of each financial year that the member is on Absent Membership or at the start of the financial quarter the member goes on Absent Membership. This fee is payable only once during each financial year. An Absent Member’s deposit is held by the Club though he/she will cease to enjoy full privileges, such as being eligible to vote or attend Club Annual General Meetings (AGMs) and Extraordinary General Meetings (EGMs). If an Absent Member attends a run or any special event, he/she must pay the guest fee whether or not he/she attends the circle or consumes beverages, and he/she will have that run credited to his/her total run count. An Absent Member can, at any time, revert to full membership status by paying that quarter’s subscription fee in full.
5. The Treasurer shall inform a member who falls into arrears with his/her subscriptions or other fees. If such member fails to settle the arrears within 1 month of the due date the President may order that he/she be denied membership.
6. A member who is not current with his/her subscription fee is ineligible to participate in an AGM or EGM.
1. Anyone who is not a regular member, that is, is an Absent Member or guest, who attends any part of a hash shall pay the guest fee, whether or not he/she attends the post-run circle or consumes beverages.
2. The guest fee per run shall be as determined from time to time by the Committee and as posted on the Club’s web site.
F. RESIGNATION, SUSPENSION AND EXPULSION
1. Any member who wishes to resign from the Club shall give 2 weeks’ notice in writing to the Secretary and shall pay all dues before leaving.
2. A member may be suspended or expelled from the Club if he/she commits acts which are injurious to the Club or its members. A decision by the Committee shall come into force unless it is countermanded at an AGM or EGM.
1. The Club shall be administered by a Committee of 8 members, not less than 3 of which shall be males and not less than 3 females. An Absent Member shall not be allowed to hold any position in the Committee or any working Committee convened for the purpose of organizing special events. A Committee member who becomes an Absent Member during his/her term will effectively be deemed as resigned from office from the date of change of membership status.
2. The Committee shall consist of a President, Vice President (VP), Secretary (Sec.), Assistant Secretary (Asst. Sec.), Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer (Asst. Treas.), and 2 Committee Members. The Vice President must be of the opposite sex from the President. Each Committee member has one vote in decision-making situations. The chairperson, normally the President except if delegated to another member, shall have the deciding vote at any meeting in the event of a tied vote.
3. Names for the above offices shall be proposed and seconded at the AGM (or EGM) and election will follow on a simple majority vote of the members present. All officers except the Treasurer may be re-elected year after year to the same or related posts.
4. The principal office bearers of the Club are the President, Vice President, the Secretary, and the Treasurer. The principal office bearers must be at least 21 years of age.
A. DUTIES OF THE COMMITTEE
1. The Committee should act to maintain the long term sustainability of the Club and its activities, in line with the directions of the AGM and good practices. This includes the Club’s finances, its legal situation and its reputation. In particular, the functions of the Committee include:
a) To execute the resolutions passed at any AGM or EGM;
b) To raise funds and to plan programs for the Club;
c) To deal with the affairs of the Club.
2. PRESIDENT: preside at any AGM, EGM, and Committee Meetings. He/she shall be responsible for ensuring the affairs of the Club are run in an equitable and transparent manner, and shall represent the Club in its dealings with the public.
3. VICE PRESIDENT: Assist the President in all matters concerning the Club and act as President in the latter's absence.
4. SECRETARY: Record and keep minutes of any AGM, EGM, and Committee Meeting and ensure their correctness; keep a membership register with membership forms, current contact and emergency contact information.
5. ASSISTANT SECRETARY: Assist the Secretary.
6. TREASURER: Responsible for the collection of all subscriptions and dues and keeping the accounts of the Club in proper order; prepare monthly and annual accounts of the Club for the Committee Meetings and AGM; sign all checks and approve cash disbursements. The Treasurer shall report on the finances of the Club to the Committee and the Members at appropriate times.
7. ASSISTANT TREASURER: Assist the Treasurer.
8. TWO COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
Historically Committee members in these positions have been involved in:
a) Arranging and managing of beverages for the Club’s runs
b) Liaising with other hash house harrier societies, including arranging joint runs
c) Arranging procurement and managing of Club-logoed apparel
d) General assistance, including filling in for absent Committee members at Club runs
As the Club’s needs evolve the Committee may assign regular duties and/or specific or new tasks to Committee members as it sees fit, and with their agreement.
1. COMMITTEE MEETINGS
a) The Committee should meet monthly or at least 9 times during its term of office. The President or Secretary shall inform all Committee members of the date and time of the meeting at least 7 days in advance.
b) For the Committee Meeting to be valid and constitute a quorum, at least 5 Committee members must be present.
2. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING (AGM)
a) An AGM shall be held in April each year. At least 25 per cent of the total membership of the society must be present at the AGM for its proceedings to be valid. Notice of the meeting shall be sent to all members of the Club at least 14 days before the AGM.
b) The following matter shall form the agenda for the AGM :
i. Read and confirm the minutes of the previous AGM
ii. Address any matters arising thereof
iii. Review the audited financial statement for the preceding year
iv. Elect the Committee for the upcoming year
v. Elect two Auditors for the upcoming year
vi. Any other matters.
c) Any member who wishes to place an item on the agenda of the AGM may do so by giving written notice to the Secretary not less than 1 week prior to the meeting date.
d) In the event of there being no quorum, the meeting shall be adjourned to the same day in the following week at a place and time to be appointed. Should the number then present be insufficient to form a quorum, those present shall be considered a quorum, but they shall have no power to alter, amend, or make additions to the Constitution.
e) Nominations for the new Committee are to be published not less than 2 weeks prior to the AGM. Candidates may run in a full or partial slate but they must run for a specific position.
f) In the event there are vacant positions for a new Committee, they may be filled at the AGM or at an EGM if a Committee member leaves the Club.
g) Ballots shall be used in the event multiple candidates run for the same position.
h) The President, in consultation with the Committee, may appoint a Club member to chair the meeting.
3. Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM)
a) To discuss any urgent matter, the Committee has the power to call for an EGM by giving at least 10 days’ notice.
b) An EGM requested by the members must be held within 30 days of receipt by the President of a written request signed by at least 33 per cent of the members. Only matters stated in the letter of request shall be discussed. Clause H.2.d) of this Constitution regarding the quorum and postponement of an AGM shall apply. However, if no quorum is present after 30 minutes from the scheduled commencement of the EGM postponement meeting, the meeting shall be cancelled, and the meeting shall not be held for the same purpose until the lapse of at least 6 months from the date thereof.
1. Two persons who are not members of the Committee shall be elected as Auditors at the AGM
2. Not eligible for this year’s Auditors are:
a. the Treasurer of the previous year;
b. the Auditors of the previous year.
3. They shall be required to audit the year's accounts and present a report upon them.
4. They may also be requested by the President to audit the accounts of the Club for any period within their tenure of office and make a report to the Committee.
1. Any additions or amendments to this Constitution must be approved at an AGM or EGM.
2. No addition or amendment to this Constitution shall come into force until it has been approved by the Registrar of Societies.
L. FINANCIAL PROVISIONS
1. All transactions with the bank shall be signed jointly by the President or the Secretary and the Treasurer.
2. No member may solicit sponsorship on behalf of the Club or commit the Club financially without the written consent of the Committee.
3. The fiscal year of the Club shall end on 31 March each year.
1. Gambling of any kind and the playing of pai kow or mahjong, whether for stakes or not, is forbidden on the Club's premises. The introduction of materials for gambling or drug-taking and of bad characters into the premises is prohibited.
2. The funds of the Club shall not be used to pay the fines of members who have been convicted in Court.
3. The Club shall not attempt to restrict or in any manner interfere with trade or prices or engage in any trade union activities.
4. The Club shall not hold any lottery, whether confined to its members or not, in the name of the Club or its Committee members.
5. The Club shall not indulge in any political activity or allow its funds and/or premises to be used for political purposes.
1. In the event of any question or matter arising out of any point which is not expressly provided for in the Constitution, the Committee shall consider past precedents and good practices within the Club. The Committee has power to use its discretion.
1. The Club shall not be dissolved, except with the consent of not less than 60 per cent of the members of the Club, expressed either in person or by proxy at an EGM convened for the purpose.
2. In the event the Club is dissolved as provided above, all debts and liabilities legally incurred on behalf of the Club shall be fully discharged and the remaining funds shall be donated to charity or disbursed in any way as approved at the EGM in which dissolution is approved.
3. Notice of dissolution shall be given within 7 days of the dissolution to the Registrar of Societies.
19 Apr 2019